Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Sewing for my Baby

The best thing about doing needlepoint for very small children is that they are so uncritical. They don't say things like, "I see you've missed some stitches over here on the leg, was that intentional?" or "Was this creature blinded in a fight?" They will clasp it in their little arms and love it besottedly, inseparably as the thing becomes more and more rancid.
~ Carole Berman and Jennifer Lazarus

I have a little sewing project on the go at the moment.


A mobile for my precious little Eee.

I was inspired by something I saw in a magazine and then found copious amounts of fabrics in my stocks to make something pretty for my precious girl. It incorporates fabric from my own wedding dress and flower girl dresses as well as silk I made into shell tops I wore to work when I was younger.

I love to sew and always imagined I would sew and create many things for my babies. Noone told me how time consuming it is to cook and clean for my little ones. So my passion to sew fits into the tiny spaces between essential tasks. I am glad that our house is big enough that I can hide away my bits and pieces in a corner that I can't see until next time I have time to sew.


So off I go with birds and hearts and an idea in my mind for a pretty little mobile for my darling girl to treasure as she grows older. And of course Ess wants one too now so I might be sewing for quite a while longer than originally anticipated.

The delight in this, however, is that Ess has taken up some stitching herself. She is amazingly incredibly adept at sewing. I taught her one afternoon to backstitch and she finished the stitching card the next day and had designed and made her own card as well! No errors, no frustrations, no tangles, just seemingly a particular penchant for sewing. She must be her mother's daughter. Learning, creating, designing, doing, completing. I admire those traits.


Watch those speedy fingers go!

No comments:

Our New Treasure

Lilypie Maternity tickers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin