Monday, January 19, 2009

Simple Crunchy Cookies

"Cookies are made of butter and love" ~ Norwegian Proverb


I have tried...

and tried...

and tried to photograph these cookies in a way which conveys their deliciously delectable habit of leaving the plate as soon as they leave the oven.

I have concluded that I need to do a course in Food Art.  Nothing seems to make them look better than...well...

Fortunately I do not need to do a course in baking as every time I bake these there are very few left to tell the tale.  When I have taken them out on visits to friends, they have disappeared from the table. When guests are here and we munch them at the table, the jar empties.  They are fabulously simple and almost healthy - there's no sugar in them at least.  A great snack for little ones!  Indeed the recipe came from an older version of Babies and Toddlers Good Food ("Australian Women's Weekly").

Here is my version of the recipe which has so many variations I have tried over the years.

Simple Crunchy Cookies (sugar free and low in gluten)

90g butter

¼ cup honey

2 tabs golden syrup (I don’t use this – just add more honey, or perhaps some sugar-free jam - fig is especially nice but also raspberry)

1 cup (150g) self-raising flour (I use spelt flour - white or wholemeal + ¼ tsp bicarb and ½ tsp cream of tartar)

1 cup (90g) desiccated coconut (I prefer shredded)

1 cup (30g) corn flakes (I use Sanitarium gluten free Kornies)

½ - 1 cup any combination of sultanas, raisins, chopped dried figs, dark choc, sunflower seeds (anything really) 


Combine butter and honey, stir over low heat till melted. Allow to cool 5 mins.

Stir into combined dry ingredients, mix well.

Drop level teaspoons about 5 cm apart onto greased oven trays; bake in moderate oven about 10-12 mins till golden. Stand 5 mins, turn onto wire racks to cool.

Makes about 2 dozen.

Tuck in!

2 comments:

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

These look really yummy!
I think we'll have a go making these this week. :)

Cee said...

I hope you enjoy them Alecat. We love them here and make them regularly. In fact these are the last batch of cookies I have made recently and Ess wanted to take one to school for her teacher this morning.

My giveaway winner, Sharon, also chose this recipe for me to handwrite for her.

Enjoy your day!

Our New Treasure

Lilypie Maternity tickers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin