Saturday, February 14, 2009

Zucchini and Sultana Muffins

Vegetables are a must on a diet.  I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie.  ~Jim Davis


Crunchy, golden brown top and a soft, fluffy and moist centre.  These healthy little Zucchini and Sultana Muffins are delicious and have gone down beautifully in our house.  I can't get a word out of my Generous Gentleman as he munches and "mmm, mmm, mmms" his way through them.  Little Eee absolutely loves them and I am really grateful I have these to fall back on when she decides that tea is not to her liking.  There is nothing in them that you should feel guilty about eating - no butter, sugar or refined white flour.  There is a lot of zucchini in them (2 cups) making them a very nutritious snack for everyone.  Don't be fooled, you can't even taste the zucchini.  The vegetable just serves to provide moisture.  It is the spices which add a delicious fragrance and flavour.

Upon seeing Julie's recipe for Carrot and Sultana Muffins, I set about varying it as I knew that zucchinis would work well in this situation. I have baked both Zucchini Bread and an absolutely, delectable Zucchini Cake before which is oft-requested (I must do that again soon).

So here is a recipe I have created as part of my goal, being a member of Our Creative Community, to collect and create a list of healthy recipes.

Zucchini and Sultana Muffins
1 egg
½ cup olive oil
½ cup honey
½ teaspoon  vanilla extract
1 cup sultanas
2 cups zucchini, grated (about 2 zucchini)
1½ cups wholemeal spelt flour
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon ground ginger

1. Combine wet ingredients and beat for 1 minute.
2. Stir in sultanas and zucchini, then fold thru the flour etc.  This will form quite a wet mixture. 
3. Pour into a 12 hole muffin tin.  Bake in a moderate oven 180degC for 20-25 minutes.
4. Cool briefly in a pan then turn onto a rack to cool.

You may like to try using wholemeal wheat flour instead of spelt for your family.  Just be aware that you may need to increase the moisture somewhat - try adding another egg, or increasing the quantity of oil slightly.  You could also try using only 1 cup of wholewheat flour.

If it suits your family ½ cup chopped nuts would be a nice addition.

Another thing I want to draw your attention to is the fact that this recipe contains honey rather than sugar.  Some of you may find this quite sweet enough while others of you who are used to a lot of sugar in your diet may find the recipe a little lacking.  It takes some time to get used to not having much sugar in your diet but is well worth the effort.  I suggest you read here about Replacing Refined White Sugar.

All the best with your baking this week and I hope you enjoy your healthy snacks.  These are just so simple and quick to whip up.  Little Eee and I made them yesterday together in about ½ an hour.

4 comments:

Minni Mum said...

Yuuuum. Now that I have spelt flour I will be giving this a go tomorrow, thanks Cee. Perfect muffin weather up here (it's raining!!), I hope you are getting some of it down your way.

Cee said...

No Julie. Sadly no rain down here. We have had nothing to speak of all year. So I'm waiting to see what autumn brings.

I hope you enjoy the muffins. Do let us know. You beat me at letting you know about them!

Anonymous said...

Well, lets just say I'm not known to be a baker, but I actually pulled these off, thanks to you :-).
YUM is about all I can say!
Thank you!

Cee said...

Wonderful Toby. I'm so glad you tried them and you had success. They really are simple aren't they and all good for you.

Glad you enjoyed them. Thanks so much for taking the time to come back and let me know how they went.

Our New Treasure

Lilypie Maternity tickers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin