Saturday, March 7, 2009

Pork and Apple Bolognese

Politicians say they're beefing up our economy.  Most don't know beef from pork.  ~Harold Lowman
Image found here

I'd make a great politician this week I think.  Two evenings ago, as I began preparations for tea, which was to be Spaghetti Bolognese for the girls, I removed the meat from my frig and thankfully realised sooner rather than later that I had thawed minced pork rather than minced beef which I usually use for this classic dish.  I know some people do cook bolognese with a combination of pork and veal so I decided I'd just use my cooking nouse and prepare a bolognese sauce with my pork.  Honestly I didn't have the wherewithall to change my plans and cook my usual Sang Choi Bau with pork mince.  So we ended up with a most delicious Pork and Apple Bolognese which I hope you and your family will enjoy as well.  It improves with age.  My Generous Gentleman didn't stop "mmm...ing" during tea last night.  We enjoy this with Basmati rice but you could use ordinary or spelt spaghetti.  Ess enjoyed some little shell shaped wheat free pasta along with her rice.  Little Eee... mmm... let's just say she is being extraordinarily fussy at this stage of the game.  To be expected of an 18 month old, sadly.


Image found here

Pork and Apple Bolognese

Brown 500g pork mince, remove from pan.
Saute onion and bacon in some Extra Virgin Olive Oil, later adding garlic, until golden.
Add 1-2 teaspoons tomato paste.  Cook off.
Add 1 grated carrot, 1 grated zucchini and 1 grated apple.
Return the mince and add 1 can of tomatoes with the little bit of water used to rinse the tin.  Cook, breaking down the mince and tomatoes as needed.
Add dried oregano (which you have hanging in your pantry after pruning your oregano this summer).
Add a good glug of tamari or your own choice of soy sauce.

Simmer for 30 mins to an hour, without letting it stick to the pan, adding some water or stock if necessary.  Some say to simmer gently for up to 3 hours to form a delicious ragu.   But eat it when you and the sauce are ready in my opinion.

Add some fresh mint and parsley.

Serve with rice or noodles and greens.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As usual, looks great! I'll be off to the store to pick up what I need for this later today.
After all, it's celebration day around here :-).

Cee said...

Hope you enjoy Toby and it fits well with your celebrations!! Way to go!

I'm stoked to hear you're shopping for ingredients to make something I created over here in my little kitchen - that's pretty cool.

shandora said...

wow, the combination of apple and pork, sounds so delicous, that I'm going to try this out this week!!

Our New Treasure

Lilypie Maternity tickers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin