Friday, August 28, 2009

Carrot, Banana and Honey Muffins

A film is just like a muffin. You make it. You put it on the table. One person might say "Oh, I don't like it." Another might say it is the best muffin ever made. One might say it's an awful muffin. It's hard for me to say. It's for me to make the muffin." ~ Denzel Washington

Carrot, Banana and Honey Muffins

Prep time: 15 mins

Cooking time: 20 mins

Makes 12

2 cups of Spelt flour with ½ tsp bicarb and 1 tsp cream of tartar (or 2 cups self-raising flour)

½ tsp bicarb soda (yes pop some more in)

2 teaspoons nutmeg

1-2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional)

¾ cup light olive oil

¼ cup honey

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 large banana, mashed

1 small carrot, peeled and grated

1. Preheat oven to 200ºC. Line a 12-hole standard muffin tine with muffin cases. Sift flour, bicarb and nutmeg into a bowl. Add sugar if desired, stir to combine.

2. Put the oil, honey and eggs in a medium jug and whisk with a fork to combine. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients. Add the banana and carrot, pour in the olive oil mixture and stir with a fork until just combined. Spoon batter into each muffin case, no more than two-thirds full. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until well risen, golden and firm to touch. Put on a wire rack to cool, dust with icing sugar before serving for a professional touch.

Adapted from a recipe seen in Better Homes and Gardens magazine years ago

6 comments:

Homestay Mama said...

Popping in for just a minute, Cee. This recipe looks delicious. Will print it and try it whenever I have time to bake. My part time job has switched to being full time, so I'll only be able to blog in snatches here and there.

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

MMmmm - these sound yummy. I've got some 'cooking bananas' ready now, so I think the oven's calling. :)

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Hi again!
I made these yesterday, but needed to add 3/4 cup of milk as it was too dry. Just thought I'd mention it in case you accidently omitted the liquid part. :)
alecat

Cee said...

Hi alecat, I'm sorry they turned out dry for you. Did you put in the 3/4 cup oil? I haven't ever found them to be dry. However nowadays I only use Spelt flour which requires less moisture so this could influence my measurements. I am sure however that I used to make these with wheat flour with no problem. My other thought might be that perhaps a smaller banana might lead you to need more liquid. Hope you all enjoyed them regardless.

shandora said...

always have banans and carrots lying around and never really knew what to do with it before they get too old...thanx for the idea!

Cee said...

I hope you enjoy them Shandora, thanks for popping in and saying Hi!

Our New Treasure

Lilypie Maternity tickers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin