Monday, March 15, 2010

Playing Battleship

It is one of man's curious idiosyncrasies to create difficulties for the pleasure of resolving them. ~Joseph de Maistre


Do you remember playing Battleships as a child? I remember drawing up my battleground on grid paper, strategically positioning my battleships, then once prepared, hiding it all from my opponent and trying to find new strategies to win the game. It was a great childhood strategy game encouraging us to think in order to win rather than just be subject to chance or luck after rolling a dice.


So when I spied this modern version of a fun childhood game at our local thrift store (for only $3), I knew it would please my Ess who'd likely play along with her Dad. Sure enough, they were both seen over the weekend with their heads behind their radars striking each other's ships as they battled to win in naval combat.

The only problem is that there are two ships missing - an aircraft carrier and a little patrol boat I think. We used lego pieces (see left container in top pic) to substitute but one needs to be rather delicate to have them balancing in the right position. We'll have to see if we can find the missing pieces to complete the game.

What are your memories of Battleships?

3 comments:

Homestay Mama said...

I have that game--my son used to like to play it with us when he was little. What fun! Good father-daughter bonding, too.

Cindy said...

Yes, my brother and I played battleship! We used to play a lot of games as a family (including my parents!) Does anyone remember Booby Trap? Penny, Penny, Who's got the Penny? We also played Chutes & Ladders, Hot Potato (with a real potato) Monopoly, Yahtzee....we even played chess. What memories.

Cee said...

We played lots of games as a family also and now we are continuing the tradition. I don't know the other games though, you'll have to share about them. Oh except for Monopoly and Yahtzee. We did play snakes and ladders - perhaps that's like chute and ladders.

Our New Treasure

Lilypie Maternity tickers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin