Thursday, July 12, 2012

It's Time to Bake Bread

"The smell of good bread baking, like the sound of lightly flowing water, is indescribable in its evocation of innocence and delight."

The Art of Eating, M. F. K. Fisher, (1908-1992)



For a long time now I have wanted to make my own sourdough spelt bread.  Yet I have no experience in bread baking - my aunty used to bake bread but stopped before I was old enough to learn from her.  Baking bread was something my mother never did in my memory.  She did make a loaf in the bread maker however.

My husband has assumed the bread making role in our family regularly baking spelt bread in our bread maker.  He makes a lovely loaf which my children enjoy.  So do I in recent times as I am unable to buy the lovely spelt sourdough loaf I regularly purchased at Dough at the Adelaide Central Markets before we moved.

However my goal is still unachieved - baking my own spelt sourdough.  I still haven't found a blogger who has found success to this end.  So I'll have to keep searching.  I have however made a couple of friends who are experimenting with sourdough bread baking so I look forward to some baking days with them.  I don't they think are using spelt but at least I will progress further in my quest to bake sourdough bread.



Today, thanks to the inspiration of Rhonda's post yesterday on Five Minute Bread and a Spelt Bread Recipe published by Four Leaf, I have two loaves of spelt bread in the oven.  We are eagerly anticipating a lunch of hot bread dripping with butter and/or olive oil along with some delicious Potato and Leek Soup.  The smell of my home is divine today and while I don't actually feel hungry yet, I am beginning to salivate with the fragrance tickling my nose.


The mix started to be seemingly a little dry, yet I persisted.


After time to rise, punching back and rising again (which I did in a preheated oven turned off due to our cold weather today),


the loaves were kneaded lighty, placed in warm pans and ready to bake.


Just look at the results.  The girls are were very eager to have our lunch when it was ready.





2 comments:

Ruby said...

Those crusty loaves look delicious! Bread with soup...just the thing for a cold winter's dinner.

Bee Lady said...

That bread looks wonderful, but it's too hot here to do any baking!

Cindy Bee

Our New Treasure

Lilypie Maternity tickers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin