Monday, April 6, 2009

Ess' Muff and Mittens Set

Really, all you need to become a good knitter are wool, needles, hands, and slightly below-average intelligence.  Of course, superior intelligence, such as yours and mine, is an advantage.  ~Elizabeth Zimmerman

Recently I referred to Ess' "essentials".  Today I thought I'd share a glimpse of part of those seeing as I managed to finished the final mitten over the weekend.  What is it about that second mitten, the second sock, the second sleeve??  It seems we are all agreed that the next project is too enticing, it simply must be commenced, and it is hard to go back to complete the first one.  So I have commenced, completed, and been inspired to undertake many other projects since I finished that first mitten.   I have to say, I am a project completer and while I have many ongoing projects in my house I rarely have something that is completely  left unfinished.  My thoughts about that second mitt etc. are that creators are always inspired by the "something new", we always see and invoke new ideas - hence the reason we are creative people.  This is where our gifting lies.  There are others who are more productive and more administrative and are there to keep us organised and ordered (Hint: that is not really me, although I do work so hard at it).

So here is the completed set - a pair of mittens and a sweet muff.  They have already been worn.  Can you notice more wear in the left mitten?  Ess looks at every opportunity to put on a pair of gloves.  "I know what I'll do Mummy.  I'll wear just the mittens when it's just a bit cold and then when it's really cold I'll wear the muff ... but I won't be able to hold the stroller to cross the road :) I'll just have to take one of my hands out!"

Ess chose the wool. I don't think I would have chosen the same as she has, but then, they are hers.  Isn't that something a mother does day by day? - let go of much that you love, desire and enjoy so that the little ones in your life, whom you love and desire to have satisfied, are pleased.  In the process I fear I am losing my own sense of taste - hopefully not.

Ess chose parade by bella baby which is 100% soft nylon.  It is certainly very, very soft which is, I am certain, the reason it was chosen.  Along with the very bright colours.  The ends of the muff are knitted with Moda Vera Jazz.


Thankyou Susan for finding me this pattern for the mittens which was very easy to knit.  Great for my first ever pair of mittens.  It came from the Lion website.

So, here is one of the little kind deeds I love to do for my family - not sure this one was a surprise but I know it makes Ess feel very valued.  If you have one to share for my giveaway, don't forget to leave your comment before Easter Sunday this weekend.

No comments:

Our New Treasure

Lilypie Maternity tickers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin