Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Postcards from the Limestone Coast: Naracoorte

The desire to fly is an idea handed down to us by our ancestors who, in their grueling travels across trackless lands in prehistoric times, looked enviously on the birds soaring freely through space, at full speed, above all obstacles, on the infinite highway of the air. ~Wilbur Wright

Hacks Lagoon

Visiting Hacks Lagoon, adjoining the main basin of Bool Lagoon at Naracoorte, was very special for me. Apart from the fact that we saw hundreds and hundreds of migratory birds which had flown south for the winter, at a beautiful time of the evening, the Hack family name is significant to me.

Emma Hack lived in Naracoorte in the late 1800's. She had moved there after marrying and leaving her family in Tintinara. Her father was my great great Grandfather and her brother, my great Grandfather. I have been on a journey walking in the footsteps of my ancestors - more about that soon.

Had it not been for our Cave Tour Guide mentioning Hacks Lagoon, upon hearing me talk of ancestral names which may be written on the walls of the caves decades ago, we would not have known about it, nor visited Hacks and Bool Lagoons.

The lagoons are absolutely beautiful and definitely worth popping in to see (especially after all the rain we have had this season). Yet there are by no means filled!


Photos simply cannot do justice to the World Heritage Caves at Naracoorte.

You simply must come and see them for yourself to experience the awe and majesty of these unique places under this seemingly inconspicuous terrain.

Once again the flora was spectacular. This native orchid was quickly picked in an attempt to calm a very whingey tired little two year old. Later we realised that it is likely to be very rare and we should have left it alone. It is rather beautiful in its simplicity you must agree.

This gum blossom took my breath away. It is enormous - perhaps 5-7cm in diameter.

This is such a unique and delicate blossom. It is no wonder the fairies call them home in the Australian bush. It is indeed pretty and intriguing with many a hidey hole for illusive little beings.


Seeing the critically endangered Bent-wing bats fly from their cave for a night-time hunt for food was a very privileged act we enjoyed as a family just on dusk.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the photos looks beautiful there, we must make sure we plan a trip there love Judy x

Homestay Mama said...

Excellent pictures! Right now I can only dream about visiting Australia, but wouldn't I love to if I could!

Cee said...

You will indeed Judy. You are so close - you'll have to plan to visit.

HS Mama I am glad we are in your dreams. Keep dreaming along with us.

talychka said...

Hi Cee

It is very exciting to read here about your knowledge of the Hack family. My mother is writing a book about the Hack settlers in South Australia, who are our ancestors, and would love to get in touch with you to find out more about Emma's letters. If you can contact me directly that would be great, thanks!

MimBod60 said...

Hello! I am thrilled to find you! I am Meredith Boddington nee Hack of Naracoorte. My sister and I have always been fascinated with Emma Hack, known in our family circle as Granny Hack. She was my great grandmother and my mother still lives on the Hack farm at Naracoorte. I would love to read some of her letters home! Wow! My sister has some of her diaries which are not real detailed but precious! I have been googling while on holidays and cannot wait to get to Tintinara to see the woolshed and the grave too! The romantic side of me wonders how Emma met William Hack!! I would love to chat to you!! Meredith

Our New Treasure

Lilypie Maternity tickers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin