Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Butterfly Making

Beautiful and graceful, varied and enchanting, small but approachable, butterflies lead you to the sunny side of life.  And everyone deserves a little sunshine.  ~Jeffrey Glassberg


Ess spent most of her morning on Monday creating this beautiful butterfly to share with her class who are exploring Minibeasts this term.  Then little Eee and I made the beaded one at the bottom to join in the fun.  Eee threaded beads onto pipe cleaners which I twisted and turned into butterfly wings, attached them to a beautifully shaped peg with the wire, and drew and cut a face to bring it to life and flutter around with little Eee.

Flutterby, butterfly
Flutter by up in the sky.
(imagine light glissandos on the glockenspiel here as we fly together)

Ess drew all the parts of the butterfly individually, before she coloured them beautifully.  This was an extra special project for her and she asked to use my "Crayolor".  I have a tray of beautiful colours collected from the studio of an artist once inhabiting the homestead on the farm my mother grew up on.  She departed in a hurry leaving many of her things in the home.  Lucky for me and Ess!  She has blended the colours beautifully, would you agree? Once coloured, the pieces were cut out individually and left lying around for the rest of the day until motivation was restored to glue them together.  That night a beautiful butterfly came into being.  The very next morning it scurried off to school where it remains.  I am very glad I managed to snap a few shots as when it returns I fear that those fleeting moments of a butterfly's life might have flown.

3 comments:

Homestay Mama said...

I think your daughters have inherited your creativity! Those are some very wonderful butterflies!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Talent seems to run in your family! Her butterfly is wonderful! I am happy to tell you that you have won my give away! Please drop by my blog to see which one and send me an email to let me know your address so I might send it off to you! :)
em(at)smartcall(dot)no
~Emily xx

Our New Treasure

Lilypie Maternity tickers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin